Sunday, February 6, 2011

Constantly Changing!!!

It is said that the only thing constant in life is change, but of course this doesn't make it the easiest thing to deal with.

Right now I'm right in the middle of change: a new job, a new place, new friends and a whole new approach to my studies...nothing is familiar at all except the fact that I'm still living in the same town.

Although all these changes are exciting and are a dream come true, it is a very uncomfortable place to be. Firstly because this is not where I thought I would be in 2011...I hadn't planned to be doing long-distance learning and I had thought I'd be out of bloem by now, and secondly because I don't have much of a support structure where I am...my family is far away, and all my friends are also out on their own journeys trying to manage their own different changes.

So what does one do in this situation??? Is it really practical to curl up and cry all day like I feel like doing half the time, or to spend hours on the phone with family and friends so I can feel supported?
Not practical at all.

I have found that the best way to deal with my change is to be flexible, to have a different approach or game-plan, if you will.
I mean, my goals remain the same...I still want to qualify as a CA, and I still want to settle down in Cape Town...what has changed is not where I want to go but how I'm going to get there.
Furthermore, change brings with it new opportunities to build relationships, to travel another leg of my life-long plan, and to grow as an individual...therefore, I need to embrace this change, and to welcome it in by making room for new family and friends - and therefore a new support structure that is strong enough to support me on this part of my life and to also make bigger dreams and to have a better vision.

It is true: change is constant, and although it might be scary and uncomfortable, change is really what we need for personal growth and to be able to deal with an ever-changing world.

So embrace change, be flexible enough to accomodate change and make change work for you!!!

2 comments:

  1. You are a very wise young lady, and you should be greatful for that.

    We all have a dream, a mission to complete, a path to follow till the end. All we can do is keep trying to get to were we want to be. We make were we want to go and how we want to get there. There is nothing wrong with that. If your plans are inline with what Gods wants for you, then He's got your back. Just because he's got your back doesnt mean that everything will go the way you planned it to.
    He know a better way and in time all will be reveiled to you.
    All you have to do it embrace and accept that He can never give you a challange you cant overcome.

    I for one speak from experience. Being far from family and friend and being in unfamiliar territory is very terrifying. I kept on asking myself wether its the right path, kept wanting to go back home and be with the people I know and am familiar with. But God told me that I should just keep going, in time all would be clear to me.
    He has plans for us, plans to prosper not harm us.

    So to being in scary situations but having the faith that God knows the way and that he want what is good for us.

    Love
    Elita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will post this on facebook and hopefully all my friends may draw from it, the comfort and reassurance that I have drawn. DK, I'm loving this. Change is not only constant, but inevitable... our wishes for the same comfort zone and repetition of good fortune et al, are but mere hiding places away from the reality that is life.

    Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete